• Add description, images, menus and links to your mega menu

  • A column with no settings can be used as a spacer

  • Link to your collections, sales and even external links

  • Add up to five columns

  • Approved Number Plate Regulations: What you need to Know!

    May 30, 2014 2 min read

    New regulations for car number plates came into effect in 2005. Vehicle registration regulations came into force, which require those who make number plates to request certain documentation from their clients.

    The guidelines which car number plate makers use are to prove the vehicle owner’s identity and also their entitlement to have the registration on their vehicle. Identity documents are requested to verify the owner’s name and address. These can include:

    • A driving licence whether or not issued in the United Kingdom (with or without a photograph). This is preferred because it is a secure, government-issued document showing both name and address.
    • A current bill issued by an electricity, gas or water supplier, a land – line telephone bill or council tax bill.
    • A bank or building society statement.
    • A passport (whether issued or not in the United Kingdom.
    • A national identity card issued by the Government of a state or territory other that the United Kingdom.
    • A debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society (the requirement for a photograph no longer applies)
    • A police warrant card.
    • An armed forces identity card.

    The second documentation which is requested by companies who make number plates must prove the owner’s entitlement and these include:

    • The preferred document is a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)
    • The tear – off slip (V5C/2) from V5C (Section 10)
    • Certificate of entitlement to a mark (V750)
    • Cherished transfer retention document (V778)
    • Vehicle licence renewal form (V11)
    • Temporary registration certificate
    • Authorisation Certificate (V948) with official DVLA stamp
    • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C. Quoting the vehicle identification number is no longer acceptable.

    There are regulations for the size and spacing of number plate letters and numbers, which the approved and regulated dealer will adhere too. When they make your car number plate you are permitted to have flags and national identifying letters on the left hand side of your number plate, which can include: the Union Flag, Cross of St George, Cross of St Andrew or the Red Dragon of Wales. The letters or national identifiers you can have include: GB (Great Britain), UK (United Kingdom), CYM (Cymru), ENG (England), SCO (Scotland) or WALES. However, if you choose to drive abroad in Europe you will still need to display a GB sticker. The flag must be shown above the identifier and you cannot have the flags or letters on the number plate margins and neither can be more than 50mm wide.

    However, if you display the Euro symbol and the GB identifier on your personalised number plate, then you will not need a separate GB sticker when travelling within the EU. There are stipulations regarding these flags and identifiers also when they make your number plates. The Euro symbol must be a minimum height of 98mm, have a width of 40-50mm, have a reflective blue background with 12 reflecting yellow stars at the top and show the member state GB in reflecting white or yellow.

    Leave a comment

    Comments will be approved before showing up.